Hi David,

I conduct a wind ensemble, and arrange for it.

1. I’ve seen both, but the modern preference is for bassoons to go below the
low clarinets.

2. Again, I’ve seen both, but trumpets, horns, trombones is the way I see it
most often. This is even more universal than the bassoon placement.

3. The string bass is as you said. It only makes sense to put it at the very
bottom if there is an actual string section. In this case, it’s a pairing with
tuba.

I’m glad you have separate cornet and trumpet parts. I prefer that, especially
with someone who can write for it and players with the correct instruments.

The doubled parts are for weight, so as to allow say Clarinet 1 to be heard as
easily as Trumpet 1. I might be happy with one to a part in the trumpet
section, but bands that work the way you outlined let the trumpets play warmly,
so one player doesn’t HAVE to carry the weight by himself. Trumpets play much
more often in concert band than in orchestra, so they can use the endurance
help of playing more softly. The clarinets are the workhorses in a concert
band, so the numbers you say are by no means outrageous. It’s nice to allow
them to balance the sax section, or the trumpet section, by themselves, the
same way that strings are massed in an orchestra.

Massed flutes are quite common, too. I’m surprised that a band of that size
doesn’t have at least six flutes. But they are very often the high octave of
some other part, so the way you said is not entirely out of line.

Band or “wind ensemble” doesn’t change the score order, but with “wind
ensemble” it may be more common to have suggested weights of sections, as you
mentioned. Bands generally mass a lot of parts. This goes back to Sousa, who
more-or-less came up with the woodwind-heavy doubling we see commonly today.
You can specify “one only” whenever you want. But I suggest that loud passages
use everyone available.

I don’t remove empty staves at all, unless it will save me score pages (say,
for long passages where entire sections rest), so I agree with Gould. As a
conductor, the placement on the page is an important indicator to me where I am
pointing my cues, and my expectations. This isn’t Beethoven’s 5th, that
everyone and his brother can conduct from memory, and is published in masses
that need to save paper. Your piece is a new and presumably more complex piece
that needs all the help you can muster, and not that much paper.

Hope this helps.

Christopher