1) It’s pretty much evenly split. I prefer Bassoons below clarinets, but others
prefer them below oboes. If your bassoons only play with the oboes creating a
double reed mini ensemble, then you might want bassoons below. If you bassoon
parts are pretty independent from oboes, but mostly double the bass clarinet
and bari sax, then you might want to put them below clarinets and above saxes.

2) Trumpets above horns in band scores. (Though there certainly are exceptions
in the standard literature). And cornets above trumpets (though again, there
are exceptions).

3) Yes, Double Bass below Tuba and above Timp/Percussion.

You didn’t ask, but some people are sticklers to putting mallet percussion at
the very bottom, below the drums and other non-pitched percussion. But, if
you’re composing for a specific amount of players at their own “station”, then
mallets can go with whichever part it’s assigned to.

Wind Ensemble vs Band shouldn’t have much effect on the score order. If you’re
writing one to a part, like an orchestra wind section, then you might want to
stick with orchestra order, particularly if you think that orchestras would be
interested in performing this more than a band.

I like doubled parts, especially in the clarinets and trumpets. The clarinet
section can take on the role of the string section (particularly with your
cadre of low clarinets available—but I would advise to cue any alto clarinet
solos in another instrument as a back up, since most bands seem not to use that
instrument). Having those parts doubled gives some extra meat to the sound. The
doubled cornet parts areahold over from the early days of transcribing
orchestra rep for winds. The cornets would play the violin melodies while the
trumpets would just play the original orchestral trumpet part. Having the full
section of clarinets and cornets can allow for divisi opportunities, which
could come in handy.

Yes, it’s true that the majority of band scores don’t remove empty staves. It’s
very much quicker to prepare a score without staves being removed.

Ryan