On Mon, 6 Jan 2003, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Many (most) packages that need to run under X11 have a dependency on
> the virtual package x11. This is not enough to make them work.
>
> The x11 virtual package is provided by the xfree86-base package. The
> problem with this is that when xfree86 is compiled and installed as a
> result of this dependency on x11, *only* xfree86-base and as its
> dependency, xfree86-base-shlibs are installed. The other two packages,
> xfree86-rootless and its *-shlibs are not installed, although they
> contain the X server and without them nothing works.
>
> So every poor beginner falls automatically into this trap. He compiles
> for 3 hours and then it tells him that "no X server is in your PATH". I
> had this myself recently on a newly installed system: "fink install
> scilab", 4 hours of compilation, and then it doesn't work.
>
> Either the "Provides: x11" has to be shifted from *-base to *-rootless,
> or the packages that really need X11 windows and not just some of the
> libraries, must depend on something else, maybe another virtual package
> 'xserver' that is provided by xfree86-rootless (and by system-xfree86).

I argue for leaving it as is.  We indeed have had this discussion before,
and the conclusion was that since there are lots of ways to use X11 apps
without having xfree86-rootless installed, we should not move "Provides:
x11" to xfree86-rootless.  For example, you can run these apps remotely on
a machine that does have an Xserver installed, or you can run them in
Xvnc/Vncviewer, or you can run them in oroborus X (which has it's own
XDarwin bundled in).  Why force people to install xfree86-rootless if they
don't really need to?

-Jeff

 --
Jeffrey S. Whitaker         Phone : (303)497-6313
NOAA/OAR/CDC  R/CDC1        FAX   : (303)497-6449