On 6 Jan 2003, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>David> Hello guys,
>
>David> please keep in mind, that this is a VERY important decision. As the
>David> documentation maintainer I will have to make sure that every reference
>David> to X11 is then changed to the new name
>
>No, that'd be the *wrong* thing.  I need "x11" to compile ImageMagick,
>and it would be nice to have the server installed for a couple of the
>tools, but I can use "convert" just fine without the server running.
>
>Although it is monday morning, so I may not be following this very
>well. :)

I think this is why the question is important. We can pick a default that
does little real damage, like saying that xfree86-rootless provides x11
instead of -base, and then slowly go through the packages picking out
applications that don't need the server. Or add the "server" dependency to
the packages that do need it. But we can't rely on doing a simple copy/paste
and getting it right.

Which means that the sooner done the fewer packages there are to look at
:)

chaals