On Monday, January 6, 2003, at 05:13  PM, Torrey Lyons wrote:

I haven't been lurking on fink-devel long enough to have insight into what the earlier debates on this were, but I have always found it strange that fink still separates the server from rest of XFree86. Sure you can think of scenarios where someone might want the X libraries installed and not the X server, but these are largely artificial. As people have pointed out you are only saving 5-10% of the size of the distribution by separating out the server and there is a very real complexity cost for doing so. There are other parts of the XFree86 distribution one might want to separate out as well that save even more space. Why is the server special?

I agree with Torrey. We should get rid of -rootless.

-Ben