[ Please forgive me if the tone is a little harsh; I'm stuck in front of
  a Windoze box for the moment... ]

> Sure you can think of scenarios where someone might want the X
> libraries installed and not the X server, but these are largely
> artificial.

Erm, what?! I have at least 20 servers, of varios OS's, which have the X11
base clients and X11 shared libraries in stalled, but no X11 server. No X
fonts, font servers, etc. either.

Why would I? I don't even have a monitor on some of them; many are at
various data centers; etc. ssh -X forwards X11 to my workstation.

> As people have pointed out you are only saving 5-10% of
> the size of the distribution by separating out the server and there

For those of us with 10GB HDs, XFree takes some very real disk space! And
don't say that's silly --- it's what my slightly over a year old iBook has.
I have many servers with far less.