More details about my proposed change to the essential packages.  I've now
made some packages, in my experimental tree, which can serve as placeholders
for the new splitoffs of essential packages during the transition.

Here's how it would work:  First, I'll put these new packages (for things
like gettext-dev and gettext-bin) into both the stable and unstable trees.
These packages are "Type: bundle" which install no files and depend on
nothing.  Their version/revision numbers will match those of the currently
installed essential packages.  (Before you ask "why", keep reading.)

Second, I'll add the line
  BuildDepends: bzip2-dev, gettext-dev,gettext-bin, libiconv-dev, libconv-bin,
ncurses-dev

to every existing fink package, in both stable and unstable trees.  Now
the necessity of those "transitional" packages becomes clear: they let
me add the BuildDepends in both stable and unstable at the same time,
without messing up anybody's builds.

Third, I'll release fink-0.13.1 and also the new splitoffized versions
of the essential packages to unstable.  Hopefully, everything will go
well, but perhaps I should put a "how to downgrade" note on the website
as this is happening, just in case?  (The downgrade will be complicated,
involving --force-depends and so on...)

Finally, after testing, we could move both fink-0.13.1 and the newly
splitoffized essential packages to stab.e

  Comments?  Questions?

  -- Dave