Am Montag, 09.06.03 um 14:13 Uhr schrieb David R. Morrison:

Hi Max. I agree that caution is necessary in executing this change.

Didn't believe you'd think differently anyway :-)

There are really two things being changed here: (1) we now insist that
dependencies on essential packages should be stated,

Err... we do? Doesn't make sense. Things which are essential are always installed. So why would we do that? Don't you mean: "Some things which used to be essential would not be essential anymore and hence packages now have to depend on them" ? I.e. you have to depend on gettext-dev, but still don't have to depend on gettext (=the shlibs part).

Maybe I am missing something vital here, please enlighten me :-)

 and (2) in addition
to that, we're going to change the setup of the essential packages.

It's hard to figure out the correct order to do these in.  We can't
ask for a dependency on ncurses-shlibs right now, for example, since
it doesn't exist.  I already proposed creating a "fake" ncurses-dev
for use during the transition, so maybe we could do the same thing
for ncurses-shlibs?  Create fake packages for these, insist that
all dependencies on them be declared, and only then convert to the
new system?

See above, I don't quite follow you here - why would stuff have to depend on ncurses-shlibs, wouldn't it be essential? Or put the other way around, why would it not be essential? It should be, it seems.

Max