I am not too fond on rushing this out or putting it into unstable that soon. Simply for the reason that going back is hard, and if we determine that we made a mistake in that switch, that it was a bad move after all or should have been done slightly differently, we then have just painted ourselves into a corner, facing a hard time getting back out.

I don't like the part where you add BuildDepends automatically to all packages in a statical manner. At the very least, before you do that on unstable it *must* be tested by some individuals for some time in a local setup. In particular I am afraid of Fink erroring out with duplicate node errors etc.. I'd much prefer, if we decide to go with this route, a semi-intelligent approach as Ben Hines suggested it, namely adding only BuildDepends which are really needed. I mean, look at the last round of automatically added BuildDepends: there are still plenty of packages for which those were never cleaned up.
You proposed:
BuildDepends: bzip2-dev, gettext-dev,gettext-bin, libiconv-dev, libconv-bin, ncurses-dev
Well, the "bzip2-dev" seems to be completely unnecessary: I am not aware of any single package needing it; and if there are packages needing it, I'll be there are maybe 2 or 3 at the most, in all of Fink. So adding that seems pointless, much better to find and fix those few packages. And the other could indeed by covered by an semi-automated search system.

I see the merits of the system, but I think we should execute any such switch with extreme care and rather not rush it in any way, precisely because it'll be so hard to correct any mistakes we make in this.

Max