And finally, let me explain the motivation for this change a bit more.
We are unable to update essential packages which have shared libraries,
if those libraries get a change in their major version number, without
the splitoff mechanism.  This has already happened for gettext, the
latest versions of which have a new major version number for the shared
library.  We've got to be able to shuffle gettext-dev and gettext2-dev
back and forth.

As long as we're doing this for one of the essential packages with
shared libraries, we might as well do it for all four, to take care of
possible future needs.

  -- Dave