Matthias Neeracher wrote:

|> From: Daniel Macks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
|>
|> We've got a lot of packages that are the same module for different
|> versions of a language (-pm*, -py*, etc.). Often, the only difference
|> between these .info files is in the %n and some Depends and pathnames
|> in *Scripts, and these are either the language version or a condensed
|> form of it. What do people think about adding a new LangVersion field
|> that is a single place to define it, and then have two new percent
|> expansions to insert it as given and condensed?
|
| Absolutely!
|
|> I know we recently added "Type: perl $version", so this expansion
|> could be used in that field value as well. Or else instead of adding a
|> LangVersion field, just pull the version out of Type: (and extend
|> Type: to accept python).

Well, if you are going to go nuts, go totally nuts, make fink parse the
same .info file multiple times with different values for the langauge,
so that the same .info file could be used for all the -py21 -py22 -py23
packages etc, and would put generate packages for Package.pm and
PkgVersion.pm for them. You'd also have to update Validation.pm here
too, of course, but then we could have one .info file with

LangVersions: -py22 (2.2), -py23 (2.3)

Or

LangVersions: -pm560 (5.6.0), -pm561 (5.6.1), -pm580 (5.8.0), -pm581 (5.8.1)

Fink would then generate all 4 packages. This one requires a *lot* more
effort though, perhaps your way is better after all.

Just thoughts :)

Otherwise, I think it is a good idea, and look forward to seeing it
implemented :)

I think we need python, perl, guile and ruby supported here, not sure
though, there may be other interpreted languages which require something
like this.

Peter
- --
Peter O'Gorman - http://www.pogma.com