Dan,

When I expanded "Type: perl" to allow "Type: perl 5.x.y" back in June,
I stuck the version number into the same field because I was getting
flack about unnecessarily increasing the number of fields.  However,
in wedging it in there I did some less-than-pretty things to the code!

One thing which is not completely obvious is that the 5.x.y in
"Type: perl 5.x.y" affects the behavior of the UpdatePOD declaration,
which does different things for "Type: perl" and "Type: perl 5.x.y".

A general mechnism for handling language variants will be great, but
it has to be recognized that the types of changes to Fink which will
be needed for the various languages are going to be different.  This
will require some careful planning.

  -- Dave