Alexander Strange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>> Alexander> I'm using package variants which don't work with the released
>> Alexander> 0.19.2. You'll have to wait until 0.20.0 or use CVS HEAD.
>>
>> But you checked the file in where it's visible to a LOT of people
>> using 0.19.2.  How fair is that?  I'm going to get errors EVERY TIME I
>> run fink (usually daily) until fink is updated to 0.20.  How soon is
>> that?
>
> DRM said that he wanted to release 0.20.0 very soon, or I wouldn't have
> added it. If it gets delayed I will pull the package.
>
> Why does it print this anyway?
> It's not a bug in the package, it's just too new.

If CVS committers are careful to only place things in the official
repository the are compatible with the version of fink in that branch,
users that aren't manually playing with their package descriptions
would never see this message.

OTOH, if the user *is* doing something funky and is trying to use a
"too new" .info file, I consider that a bug in the user's fink setup,
so I made the warning mandatory. Consider that a user could correctly
install a .info file (for example, following the "stable, but want one
or two packages from unstable" FAQ) but not have the package(s) it
contains appear in 'fink list' and have no idea why.

> At the very least it should be restricted to verbosity 2 or above.

I disagree, but if others think that's the way it should be, then it's
easy enough to do it that way.

dan

--
Daniel Macks