David H. wrote:

no, I am not. That are exactly the words that they told me. The likelyhood
that we will end up in court because we "violate" the GPL is about 0. Not to
mention that we are not the "active party" in this case. The long version on
this topic is about 2 hours and a dinner worth.

As the "PR guy" I'm amazed that that is the only concern you have. :P

I think bucking the GPL with that kind of attitude is a bad idea. If it were "the 'system library' thing is a bit murky, I think it could still be considered such, even though we're installing an updated version in an alternate location" that's one thing, but if it's "f**k it, let them try to sue us" that's another thing altogether.

Is it really that hard to set things that want openssl097 to Restrictive until we can get them either building against the system libcrypto or updated to use GNUTLS? (Or confirmed to have a compatible license?)

Yes, but not with European.

And where is Fink incorporated again?

Sorry, but that is downright wrong. As long as I do nto sign my right of sole
use and enjoyment over to Fink Developer Network, the copyright as well as the
"licensing" remains in my hands. Of course Fink may choose to reject my patch
when its licensing does not fit into a scheme we choose, but as long as that
not happens, that patch is mine to deal with and it is licensed as I find fit.
That is why all my patches would be licensed as BSD for example.

I agree here. I can't imagine there's such thing as "implied" copyright assignment just by uploading. Copyright is always the creator's unless specifically notified. I doubt it will be much of a big deal to contact all maintainers and ask them for consent to consider their .info files to be released under the GPL, and to put a notice up that all future submissions will be the same.

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click _______________________________________________ Fink-devel mailing list Fink-devel@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-devel