merlyn@stonehenge.com (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:

> David> You appear to be running fink on 10.4, but using the 10.3 distribution.
> David> To correct this, execute "/sw/lib/fink/postinstall.pl".
>
> OK.  How would I have known to do this?  Just for future reference.
> And why isn't it more automatic?

Whenever the fink package manager is installed, it examines the environment
in which it is running and determines which is the correct "distribution"
to use for the current operating system.

So, if you already have fink installed, and then you upgrade to 10.4,
you're left in an inconsistent state.

We've struggled with what instructions to give about this on the website.
Originally, the instructions said to run "fink reinstall fink" after
upgrading to 10.4.  However, that doesn't work in all cases (due to fink
thinking there should be a .deb file but being unable to find it because
the distribution has changed).

More recently, someone has changed this to "fink rebuild fink", but that
might fail as well under some circumstances.

Re-running the postinstall script (as I suggested in the previous method)
is the easiest solution, and I expect that the website instructions will be
revised along these lines in the near future.

  -- Dave