Bill,

I'm not sure how old those instructions are, but a few things have changed.

First, be sure that people trying to use this are putting their modifications
either at the very top or very bottom of the /sw/etc/apt/sources.list file.
(The middle sections of this file get rewritten from time to time.)

I believe that if they put an addition at the top, your packages will override
the official ones, whereas if they put them at the bottom, the official ones
would be used first.

Also, these days we use the distribution name, such as 10.3/release rather
than just release.  I'm actually not sure if this matters in your situation.

  -- Dave