Peter,
   You may have point regarding the 4.1 branch, but I would say that
the 4.0.2 branch is highly unlikely to be much less stable for gfortran
than the 4.0.1 release is. Again the question really is what is the
purpose of the gcc4 package? If it is primarily a release mechanism
for gfortran, then it is debatable if that is the most stable release.
For instance, I don't even see the dejagnu lines in the gcc4.info
script so it is unclear how closely we are monitoring regressions
in gfortran relative to the gcc-testresults mailing list.
            Jack