> >         Would it be possible (and a good idea?) to split the gcc4 package
> > into release-branches?  e.g. gcc4.0 (currently 4.0.3), gcc4.1 (currently
> > 4.1.1) and gcc4.2 (whatever recent snapshot)?  With the current 10.4
> > trees, I have to install my own (FSF) 4.0.x and 4.1.1, now that
> > unstable/gcc4 points to the 4.2 trunk.  Or would this be more hassle than
> > it's worth?
> >
> David:  The reason the gcc4 package uses the 4.2 trunk is that there is
> no support for intel macs in the 4.1.x or 4.0.x branches.  If we make
> packages for those, they will have to be ppc only.

I see.  Forget about 4.0.x then.  Supposing that support for
i686-apple-darwin is added for the 4.1 series, would that be enough
motivation to split 4.1 apart from 4.2?  I've noticed the .patch work for
your 4.2 package, mostly in the configure department.  Has anyone looked
into what it would take to at least build 4.1 on Intel?  (If only I had my
hands on and Intel Mac, I could test it out fairly easily...)  I might
poke around on gcc.gnu.org to see what's been done.

David