Jeff,
   The new lammpi and openmpi packages that I maintain now use gcc4
I also see that raster3d, pdftk, apbs, apbs-mpi, ccp4-onlylibs-dev,
ccp4, mosflm, mosflm-small, plplot, maloc, maloc-mpi, pdb2pqr and
tinker use gcc4 as well. Most of those are probably packages that
are maintained by William Scott so I doubt we will have much trouble
getting those bumped in a timely fashion.
   It unfortunate we have to go through this but I would much rather
see packages depend on gfortran than g95. The development model for
g95 is just plain weird. A single developer without a cvs and no
testsuite. The gfortran compiler has already outstripped g95 in
performance and the depth of their testsuite provides a hedge against
accidental regressions (not present with g95 snapshots).
        Jack
ps You can see from...

http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05/linux/f90bench_p4.html
http://www.polyhedron.com/pb05/linux/f90bench_AMD.html

...that while not as fast as some of the commercial compilers,
gfortran is significantly faster than g95.