On 24/11/2006 8:28 AM, Rainer Kupke at [EMAIL PROTECTED] spake thus:

> When the user decides to remove a packet he installed, fink should be
> able to remove packets that are no longer necessary.

I can see one obvious problem with such a feature, which has already bitten
me using aptitude under Debian (has this built in). Package A has a
dependency causes package B and package C to be installed. User uses package
A for a while, and during this time notices package B and starts using that
as well. They then decide to remove package A and suddenly package B also
disappears (along with package C). User gets very annoyed :)

I had precisely this experience a while back. The wording of standard
aptitude warning "The following packages are unused and will be removed"
makes little sense to a user when they quite clearly ARE using package B (as
I was). The two workarounds are to either re-install package B (a nuisance),
or cancel the removal of A, then try again but this time explicitly tell it
to keep package B (also a nuisance).

If this feature were to be implemented in fink, a more useful approach could
be something like this:

% fink remove packageA
The following packages were only installed because packageA depends on them:
packageB packageC
Would you like to keep any of these packages? [Y/n] y
Keep package packageB? [Y/n] y
Package packageB will be KEPT.
Keep package packageC? [Y/n] n
Package packageC will be REMOVED.

Nigel Stanger,           mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Dunedin, NEW ZEALAND.    Fnord.