On May 15, 2013, at 2:45 PM, Alexander Hansen wrote:

> 1) OpenGL typically comes either via the OpenGL framework, or via X11. In the
> former case, no dependency needs to be declared, because that comes with the
> OS and we don't have a virtual package for it.  For the latter, even though
> it ships with the OS on current versions, it's good to specify Depends:
> x11-shlibs and BuildDepends: x11-dev, plus RuntimeDepends: x11 if it displays
> in X11. (mesa is also a possibility, but I'd recommend not going with that if
> you don't have to)

        As usual, thanks for the quick response.  Actually the project is
looking somewhat iffy, or maybe i'm just in over my head [also as usual].
SDL-Ball has a very rudimentary build system with no configure script.  The
author claims that on linux and Windows systems 'make' is all that's needed.
On OSX, however, the make immediately bombs out:

> Darlene-Lowes-Mac-mini:sdl-ball (300) $ make
> g++ -DDATADIR="\"themes/\""  main.o -lGL -lGLU `sdl-config --libs`
> -lSDL_image -lSDL_ttf -lSDL_mixer -o sdl-ball
> ld: library not found for -lGL
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

        This is the entirety of the makefile:

> DATADIR?=themes/
>
> #append -DWITH_WIIUSE to compile with WIIUSE support!
> #append -DNOSOUND to compile WITHOUT sound support
> CC=g++ -DDATADIR="\"$(DATADIR)\""
>
> CFLAGS+=-c -Wall `sdl-config --cflags`
>
> #append -lwiiuse to compile with WIIUSE support
> #remove -lSDL_mixer if compiling with -DNOSOUND
> LIBS+=-lGL -lGLU `sdl-config --libs` -lSDL_image -lSDL_ttf -lSDL_mixer
>
> SOURCES=main.cpp
> OBJECTS=$(SOURCES:.cpp=.o)
>
> EXECUTABLE=sdl-ball
>
> all: $(SOURCES) $(EXECUTABLE)
>
> $(EXECUTABLE): $(OBJECTS)
>       $(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $(OBJECTS) $(LIBS) -o $@
>
> .cpp.o:
>       $(CC) $(CFLAGS) $< -o $@
>
> clean:
>       rm -f *.o sdl-ball
>
> remove:
>       rm -R ~/.config/sdl-ball

        So i assume to make this work at all we'd have to hand-feed it the
appropriate flags, which i don't think i could manage without help.  I looked
at the diff from MacPorts, and the only relevant part seems to be: "export
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,defs -Wl,--as-needed"

Sent from Darlene-Lowes-Mac-mini

Zoe: "First rule of battle, little one ... don't ever let them know where you
are."

Mal: "WHOO-HOO! I'M RIGHT HERE! I'M RIGHT HERE! YOU WANT SOME O' ME?! YEAH YOU
DO! COME ON! COME ON! AAAAAH! Whoo-hoo!"

Zoe: "'Course, there're other schools of thought."