The buildworld has also exposed a major flaw in the r-base* packaging. The
builds logs for…

http://www.snaggledworks.com/fink/buildworld/2014-07-24/logs/cran-slam-r30.log

and

http://www.snaggledworks.com/fink/buildworld/2014-07-24/logs/cran-rjava-r31.log

show the missing dependencies on gcc49-compilers and libicu48-dev (among
others from
/sw/Library/Frameworks/R.framework/Resources/etc/Makeconf's linkage of
LIBS =  -lpcre -llzma -lbz2 -lz -lm -liconv -licuuc -licui18n

The debian developers solve this in their r-base-dev package with
dependencies on the required *-dev packages…

https://packages.debian.org/sid/r-base-dev

Unfortunately the use of BuildDependsOnly: True in the r-base*-dev
split-off prohibits this in fink. So it would appear that the only solution
is to explicitly add those missing *-dev dependencies to the BuildDepends
in every single cran package in libs/rmods. Ugh.
     Jack
ps It makes one wonder if fink couldn't be modified to special case the
BuildDependsOnly: True to disable it for the *-dev split-off itself. That
is that Depends on *-dev which use BuildDependsOnly: True are ignored for
the case of their presence in a *-dev which has already has
BuildDependsOnly: True itself since that will recursively force the
BuildDependsOnly: True on the other -dev packages to be honored despite
their presence in the Depends of r-rbase*-dev.