I rebuilt them from unstable, which *did* work.  (Lengthy compiles,
though.) I don't know if merely running fink selfupdate-cvs then fink
update-all will -- perhaps someone should check (who hasn't already got
it working, that is.)

By the way -- I assume that fink selfupdate-cvs only updates package
descriptions from cvs so they're as current as possible, and doesn't
change whether fink looks in your unstable tree or not.  Yes?

And before you give Shishir a hard time about updating, I was having a
hard time with the grace from dselect as well, with an up-to-date fink.
I don't know if fink selfupdate-cvs would have helped because I only
learned about it while in the process of fixing the problem.  It's not
documented anyplace obvious -- the user's guide, FAQ, or usage guide,
for instance.

[A little consolidation of the information in those documents wouldn't
hurt, either, especially when it comes to a good routine for diagnosing
and troubleshooting problems.  Usage might be better called a "Quick
Start", and both the FAQ and Quick Start could be included as sections
in the User's Guide.  What I'm thinking here is so easily confused
beginning users like myself can quickly and directly find more or less
complete information in one document.  The best way to short-circuit
annoying questions from people like us is a guide good enough that the
mantra "Read the User's Guide, Read the User's Guide, Read the User's
Guide...." is a safe and honest answer to 90% of the questions that come
in.  Right now, the help section is a bit muddled and quite rambly.
Yeah, I know this stuff's a hassle, but cosider it preventative
maintenance.  "RTFM" is all well and good, but "RTFM, and then RTFFAQ,
and then RTFUG, then browse some other by-our-own-admission outdated
stuff"  doesn't have quite the same force of righteous indignation, does
it?]

David Craig


<http://www.panix.com/~dac/>


_______________________________________________
Fink-users mailing list
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-users

Reply via email to