I have two questions, they're related, and they both have to do
with using the Emacs21 package in 10.2.

I was able to build Emacs21 from unstable under 10.2 and it works
fine in X, however, it no longer works from Apple's terminal
window in a non-X way.

(a) If I use 'emacs-nw' in a terminal shell with myself as the
current user, I get this error message

 > emacs: Terminal type "vt100" is not powerful enough to run Emacs.
 > It lacks the ability to position the cursor.
 > If that is not the actual type of terminal you have, use the
 > Bourne shell command `TERM=... export TERM' (C-shell: `setenv
 > TERM ...') to specify the correct type.  It may be necessary
 > to do `unset TERMCAP' (C-shell: `unsetenv TERMCAP') as well.

It looks like the new terminal is advertising itself as a plain
jane vt100 (TERM is exported as 'vt100'). I *don't* have 'strict
vt-100 keypad' selected in the emulation dialog.

I don't set TERM myself, so it must be set in some global config
file somewhere.

What TERM setting do I need to have to use 'emacs -nw'?

(b) If I use 'emacs -nw' in a terminal after doing 'su -', then I
get this error message:

 > emacs: Cannot open termcap database file

As root? That seems very odd.

Can anyone point me to a way to work around these problems?

Viktor