Viktor Haag writes:

 > Sadly, it doesn't.
 >
 > I followed the instructions, and I am using the vt100-color TERM
 > now; however, I still get the longer error message with emacs
 > -nw.
 >
 > If I follow the advice in the error message and 'unset TERMCAP',
 > then trying emacs -nw kicks back the shorter error message:
 >
 >      emacs: Cannot open termcap database file
 >
 > Quickly checking a su -, I notice that root's resulting
 > enviroment doesn't include a TERMCAP value. Aha.
 >
 > So, does anyone have any further pointers here?

Just thought of something: I fired up a vanilla xterm and tried
'emacs -nw', and ran into the same error:

       emacs: Cannot open termcap database file

I have ncurses installed through fink, and I have TERMINFO
pointed (now) to /sw/share/terminfo.

But emacs still "cannot open termcap database file".

Seems like there's something more seriously going on here;
perhaps this is a "building Emacs21 on 10.2" problem?

--
Viktor Haag : Software & Information Design : Research In Motion
                              +--+