Daniel Wyeth wrote:

My presumptions about runtime dependencies were incorrect anyway however ( why every linux distribution has to rename the upstream packages I will never understand ) so all in all it was an ill fated project. Though I will say that the developers are extremely helpful and were quite excited about getting RG into Fink, so if at some latter stage it does become feasible, I suspect they will be of great assistance.

Well, if you want to write a coreaudio midi driver for arts, it's possible...

Peter came up with a workaround for dlcompat quite some time ago, but as I understand it, it's not the best way to implement it, and it will slow down everything else even if they don't need it...

Sadly there seem no viable alternatives to RG available: Brahms is the only other open source sequencer / notation package that I am aware of and it too is built on aRts / KDE, and will thus suffer the same problems. Denemo was never intended to be anything more than a GUI for lilypond, and would appear to have been abandoned in anycase ( last release was in 2001 ).

So it sounds like an arts midi driver would benefit a couple of projects...

Do you know if gstreamer does midi, and do any of these projects use that? It sounds like KDE is dropping the arts requirement as of 3.2, so a lot of that stuff may become optional in general...