Lo, on Wednesday, January 14, [EMAIL PROTECTED] did write:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:19:46 -0500,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > I will isolate the problem and post what I find.
>
> Argh.  I had previously redefined the function system-name because
> /bin/hostname returns "graviton.local." (with the period;
> apparently because of Apple's Rendezvous), and that was messing up
> gnus' attempts at generating message-ids.
>
> So the real question is actually "how do I configure gnus on a
> MacOSX 10.2.8 box connected to the internet through a router and
> DSL and PPPoE, especially when /bin/hostname returns something
> non-sensical?"  I'll ask that one elsewhere.

My experience is that if you edit /etc/hostconfig and change the value
for the HOSTNAME setting, /bin/hostname will no longer return something
nonsensical.  (At least, I think that was sufficient to get it working.)

I think this file only takes effect on a reboot; for immediate effects,
use the optional argument to /bin/hostname as root.

Mucking about with the machine's name in the Sharing section of system
preferences may also be necessary.

(If you could follow up with a description of your experiences, that
would be wonderful -- I'd like to remember how I did this, in case I
have to repeat the process!)

HTH,

Richard