Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> said:
> On 8/10/10 2:30 PM, Scott R. Santos wrote:
>>
>> The following package will be installed or updated:
>>  emboss
>> The following 263 additional packages will be installed:
>>  app-defaults appleotffonts applesystemfonts aquaterm aquaterm-dev
>> aquaterm-shlibs atk1 atk1-shlibs audiofile audiofile-bin audiofile-shlibs
>> autoconf avahi avahi-dev bison cairo cairo-shlibs cloog cloog-shlibs cmake
>>  compress-raw-bzip2-pm5100 compress-raw-zlib-pm5100 crypt-ssleay-pm5100
>> cyrus-sasl2-dev cyrus-sasl2-shlibs daemonic dbus dbus-dev dbus-glib1.2-dev
>> dbus-glib1.2-shlibs dbus-shlibs dbus1.3-dev dbus1.3-shlibs
>>  default-icon-theme docbook-dsssl-nwalsh docbook-dtd docbook-utils
>> docbook-xsl doxygen emboss-libajax6-shlibs emboss-libnucleus6-shlibs esound
>> esound-bin esound-common esound-shlibs fftw3 fftw3-shlibs
>>  fink-obsolete-packages flex-devel fondu freeglut freeglut-shlibs gcc44
>> gcc44-compiler gcc44-shlibs gconf2 gconf2-dev gconf2-shlibs getoptbin
>> glib2-dev glib2-shlibs glitz glitz-shlibs glpk-dev glpk-shlibs gmp gmp-shlibs
>>  gnome-base gnome-common gnome-doc-utils gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring-dev
>> gnome-keyring-shlibs gnome-mime-data gnome-vfs2-unified
>> gnome-vfs2-unified-dev gnome-vfs2-unified-shlibs gnuplot
>> gst-plugins-base-0.10
>>  gst-plugins-base-0.10-dev gst-plugins-base-0.10-shlibs gstreamer-0.10
>> gstreamer-0.10-dev gstreamer-0.10-shlibs gtk+2 gtk+2-dev gtk+2-shlibs
>> gtk-doc hdf5 hdf5-bin hdf5-shlibs help2man-perl588 html-parser-pm5100
>>  html-tagset-pm icon-naming-utils intltool40 io-compress-pm5100 jadetex
>> lasi-dev lasi-shlibs libart2 libart2-shlibs libavahi-client3-shlibs
>> libavahi-common3-shlibs libavahi-core6-shlibs libavahi-glib1-dev
>>  libavahi-glib1-shlibs libbonobo2 libbonobo2-dev libbonobo2-shlibs
>> libbonoboui2-dev libbonoboui2-shlibs libcdparanoia0-dev
>> libcdparanoia0-shlibs libcurl4 libdaemon libdaemon-shlibs libdatrie1
>> libdatrie1-shlibs libgcrypt
>>  libgcrypt-shlibs libgettext3-dev libglade2 libglade2-shlibs libgmpxx-shlibs
>> libgnome2 libgnome2-dev libgnome2-shlibs libgnomecanvas2 libgnomecanvas2-dev
>> libgnomecanvas2-shlibs libgnomecups-dev libgnomecups-shlibs
>>  libgnomeprint2.2-dev libgnomeprint2.2-shlibs libgnomeprintui2.2-dev
>> libgnomeprintui2.2-shlibs libgnomeui2-dev libgnomeui2-shlibs libgpg-error
>> libgpg-error-shlibs libidl2 libidl2-shlibs libidn libidn-shlibs libjasper.1
>>  libjasper.1-shlibs libjpeg8 libkpathsea4 libkpathsea4-shlibs liblzma-shlibs
>> libmpc2 libmpc2-shlibs libmpfr1 libmpfr1-shlibs libogg libogg-shlibs
>> liboil-0.3 liboil-0.3-shlibs libpng14 libpng14-shlibs librarian.08-shlibs
>>  libtasn1-3 libtasn1-3-shlibs libthai libthai-dev libthai-shlibs
>> libtheora0-shlibs libtiff libtiff-bin libtiff-shlibs libtool14
>> libtool14-shlibs libvorbis0-shlibs libwww libwww-bin libwww-pm5100
>> libwww-shlibs libxml2
>>  libxml2-bin libxml2-py26 libxml2-shlibs libxslt libxslt-bin libxslt-shlibs
> [...]

Also the latest (as of -101) emboss package relies on external
(separate packages) of several things that used to be internal. In
particular, plplot is a huge library that is no longer build within
emboss itself. The plplot packaging is itself using lots of gnome
things that emboss doesn't need. To quote a note in the emboss
packaging file:

  # plplot's -nognome varianting is a disaster (adding/removing can
  # change who if anyone supplies various headers and libs).

It's fixable (tease apart the non-gnome stuff into a clean independent
package set) but not yet fixed. The plplot that comes with emboss is
its own packaging disaster that's *not* fixable and had led to all
sorts of other breakage in the previous packaging of the emboss suite.
So until I finish cleaning up plplot, "users of plplot" (i.e., you, if
you update emboss) are stuck getting gnome stuff.

If the previous emboss you had installed (I assume you had it, because
update-all saw it was present-and-old) was working fine, there's no
urgency to updating it. The changes are *just* to the packaging
layout: shifting lots of things to external and solving lots of binary
compatibility problems in its included libraries. Updates to plplot,
which should trim out most of the gnome stuff, will probably take
another week or so.

dan

--
Daniel Macks