Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> said:

> On 8/10/10 5:37 PM, Daniel E. Macks wrote:
>> Alexander Hansen <alexanderk.han...@gmail.com> said:
><snip>

>>> The all-of-gnome thing probably came from gnuplot.  You can use
>>> gnuplot-nogtk to avoid that.
>>
>> Also the latest (as of -101) emboss package relies on external
>> (separate packages) of several things that used to be internal. In
>> particular, plplot is a huge library that is no longer build within
>> emboss itself. The plplot packaging is itself using lots of gnome
>> things that emboss doesn't need. To quote a note in the emboss
>> packaging file:
>>
>>   # plplot's -nognome varianting is a disaster (adding/removing can
>>   # change who if anyone supplies various headers and libs).
>>
>> It's fixable (tease apart the non-gnome stuff into a clean independent
>> package set) but not yet fixed. The plplot that comes with emboss is
>> its own packaging disaster that's *not* fixable and had led to all
>> sorts of other breakage in the previous packaging of the emboss suite.
>> So until I finish cleaning up plplot, "users of plplot" (i.e., you, if
>> you update emboss) are stuck getting gnome stuff.
>>
>> If the previous emboss you had installed (I assume you had it, because
>> update-all saw it was present-and-old) was working fine, there's no
>> urgency to updating it. The changes are *just* to the packaging
>> layout: shifting lots of things to external and solving lots of binary
>> compatibility problems in its included libraries. Updates to plplot,
>> which should trim out most of the gnome stuff, will probably take
>> another week or so.
>>
> plplot builds against octave, so it brings that into the mix, too.

Not any more. New slim plplot (no gnome, octave, tcltk, gcc4.x), and
emboss updated to use it.

Of course, I don't actually *use* any of this--all I know is that
it compiled and the programs ran without crashing up until the point
of requiring me to give them any data or commands.

dan
--
Daniel Macks
dma...@netspace.org