I absolutely agree that the government should have the burden to prove a
proposed firearm is not constitutionally protected. However; the decision in
question disagrees with us. We have to work within the confines of existing
case law (or look to have it overturned.)  The courts are clearly not qualified
to determine which weapons are and are not "common" weapons as this case shows
(or look at Miller stating that a short barreled shotgun isn't a militia weapon
when it was used quite extensively by the militia and military.)  It is
important that there is literature in the area that can be referenced
discussing how one classifies weapons.

In your email you mentioned that at specific weapon shouldn't be considered
uncommon for obvious reasons (we'd never have a new weapon) for the same reason
one cannot declare a specific cartridge uncommon.  If someone takes the first
steps to creating a taxonomy it gives the courts (and 2A attorneys)  a starting
point for looking at laws targeting specific cartridges/firearms.  It also
gives a jumping off place for discussing martial arms and edged weapons. There
is no reason to believe the second amendment wasn't intended to protect these
every bit as much as firearms. Sabers and bayonets were in wide use at the time
and surely were considered protected arms.

Suggesting that it is impossible to have the Second Amendment stood upon it's
head is assuming that we have the same makeup for some time to come. This is
not likely to be the case and moving now to define the limits of governmental
interference is important while we do have a SCOTUS that is not adverse to an
armed citizenry.