From: firearmsregprof-boun...@lists.ucla.edu
[mailto:firearmsregprof-boun...@lists.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Volokh, Eugene
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 5:21 PM
To: 'firearmsregprof@lists.ucla.edu'
Subject: RE: Volokh: California Court of Appeal Upholds Ban

        My sense is that a great deal of public policy has been based on (at
best) plausible inferences based on life experience, rather than on social
science evidence.  Certainly that was so before the advent of modern social
science tools; but even today, it's very hard to have really reliable
evidence on a wide variety of matters, whether related to guns or otherwise.

        I do think a higher standard should be required when a law
substantially burdens a constitutional right; I discuss this in some detail
in my UCLA Law Review piece, http://www.law.ucla.edu/volokh/2am.pdf .  But
it's far from clear to me that a higher standard should be required in the
absence of such a substantial burden.

        Eugene

are