On 11/08/2014 11:18, Jim Starkey wrote:
> Since plugins pretty much need to be compiled with the same compiler as the
> engine,

Hum??

>  and since both COM objects and their clients will be compiled from the
> machine generated interface defintion headers, there is no danger of
> incompatibilities even if there are compilers incompatible with standard IDL
> compilers, which I seriously doubt.

So, nobody should rely on undefined behavior, i.e., COM components must
also manually generate vtables to be OK, specially if you're
implementing "non-Windows COM" (something which does not exist).

> You are arguing that a 25 year old industry standard, widely adopted
> technology is unsafe but a crude, home-brew quasi-OO interface is not.  I
> don't find your position convincing.
>
> Why don't you just say that you don't like COM because it wasn't invented
> here?
>
> The UTF-8 issue must be dealt with, certainly.  I am in a part of the world
> without practical web access and will soon be out of even email.  But when I
> get back to civilization and bandwidth, I will be happy to brush up on the
> latest.
>
> So far, the arguments I've heard against COM are mostly failures of
> understanding, not COM deficiencies.  Oh, there is the argument that Firebird
> developers aren't good enough to handle immutable interfaces.  That I reject
> out of hand.  Hundreds of thousands of developers have learned to cope with
> stable interfaces.  Probably more.

COM is full of problems:
- UTF16
- HRESULT with TLS access to errors
- No real OOP, just object composing with QueryInterface
- Ref. counting for all sorts of objects

Adriano