I have brought this up before, and it might be a bit annoying that I do
so again, but I remain concerned by the fact that we are about to ship a
product (Firebird 3) that uses hashing and encryption algorithms (SHA-1
and RC4) that most in the industry consider outdated and (relatively)
insecure.

Organizations are taking actions to deprecate and disable both (eg
Oracle disabled RC4 in TLS in Java 8 Update 51, the IETF now prohibits
the use of RC4 in TLS, https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7465).

They might still be strong enough for now, but I am also concerned about
the public image impact of releasing a product with a new security
feature that uses algorithms considered insecure by todays standards.

Mark Rotteveel