Not saying I want/need that for the moment, but you did ask for
suggestions. And yes, the exact purpose of slow hashing is to make
bruteforce attacks harder both with legit client attempts to authenticate,
and when/if the user database is compromised. The latter might be a more
valid reason to switch the algo used for storing password hashes.
However, I also tend to think that anyone capable of an attack on SHA1 with
proper(meaning something harder than masterkey/password/s.o.) passwords
will probably find other means of attack and not bother bruteforcing so the
benefit is questionable.

As for throughoutput, I suppose there are people doing hundreds of
connection per minute, but my guess would be systems with such load would
use connection pooling (if nothing else, to speed up the process) and won`t
be starting that many completely new connections.