On 28/02/16 18:19, Leyne, Sean wrote:

>> > However, I seriously question the need to support Windows XP and
>> > Windows Server 2003 for Firebird 4.
> I completely agree!
>
> There comes a time when some OSs/installs need to be recognized as *legacy*.
>
> Systems based on those platforms need to recognize that they can't
> be running the latest/greatest software.
> In the FB case, v3 will still run on/be supported for
> those platforms for several more years.

I do have to ask the more pertinent question ... will windows still be
around in 10 years time?

We have much the same discussion on other projects about making things
compile on windows, where on other platforms it's simply a matter of
keeping in sync with the libraries used. I have legacy windows code that
was developed on Windows98 - talking to Interbase - and is still running
today as long as I keep to 32bit versions of windows ... not for the
SOFTWARE, but so I can still use the parallel port to control the
hardware! Many of my client systems are however now mobile device based,
and these are replacing windows desktop machines all over the place.
Clients tend to be OS agnostic?

We can keep legacy systems working simply because we do not necessarily
need to upgrade. Heck I still have a couple of FB1.5 machines running
because they do the job. So the question really is if an improvement
relies on some change in the target OS is it worth the time spent, or
will it detract from the same functions working across all OS's ? That
M$ seems to break perfectly functional code at every compiler upgrade is
the agro, and is there no way to mitigate that by some 'bc fix' file?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL