On 2016-02-29 1:25, Carlos H. Cantu wrote:
>>> However, I seriously question the need to support Windows XP and
>>> Windows Server 2003 for Firebird 4.
>
> LS> I completely agree!
> LS> There comes a time when some OSs/installs need to be recognized
> as *legacy*.
> LS> Systems based on those platforms need to recognize that they
> LS> can't be running the latest/greatest software.  In the FB case,
> v3
> LS> will still run on/be supported for those platforms for several
> more years.
> LS> Sean
>

> Afaiu, there is a problem with some specific version of MSVC that
> generate code that doesn't work on WinXP/2003 so, you guys are now
> talking about dropping support to such Windows versions, so this
> compiler could be used.
>
> Question: Does this problem would also affect the compiled client
> library? Or do you guys also think nobody using Win XP/2003 will
> needs
> to connect to Firebird? <g>

Let me make my position clear: I don't see the need to support a 14
year old OS that has had no updates (including security updates) since
April 2014. If you're in business with such systems, you are operating
irresponsibly and I see no need to support such behavior. Also if you
are using such outdated systems, how likely is that you update to a
newer Firebird version; I think that is unlikely, so again why would we
need or want to support that.

And as long as the Firebird 3 or earlier fbclient.dll / libfbclient.so
can be used with Firebird 4, then you can still use those systems as
clients, without encumbering the project.