On 28/03/16 15:59, Michal Kubecek wrote:
>> But still clone of Firebird repository is 10 times bigger than its
>> > sources.
> That's one way to look at it. Another way is to say it's about 0.18 EUR
> of disk space in case of a SSD and 0.02 EUR in case of classical
> magnetic disk.

Another way to look at it is it's a bloody expensive download for
somebody paying by the MB.

Okay, I don't know when I last paid by the MB - I switched to an
unmetered 64K line sometime round the beginning of the century - but
even today there are people who's only phone is a mobile, and calling
plans are expensive.

(By western standards American calling plans seem to be extortionate,
but that's probably cheap compared to Africa. And do we really want to
exclude parts of the world based on the cost of phone connections?)

My reaction to all this, though, was "why not put a recent shallow clone
on bittorrent?" Update it once a month or so, and those people who have
expensive - or flaky! - internet connections can download that, and then
a "git pull" to update will be pretty small and quick. They can do a
deep update later if they want.

Cheers,
Wol