On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 05:57:19PM +0200, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 26.04.2016 17:48, Stefan Heymann wrote:
> > we need the URL type db string
> > solution described by Michael so only IPv4 gets tried by the client.
>
> This solution requires to change every connection string in every
> application worked with Firebird which is often hard-coded.

Not necessarily. The example with "localhost" name is rather artificial.
I'm pretty sure client using linked libfbclient accessing a 2.5 server
running on the same machine is not a common production scenario.

If it's a different machine, there are other options, e.g.

  - do not give the name an AAAA record
  - configure it in a way where the IPv6 connection fails normally

> Disabling IPv6 in client is more realistic solution for now.

Disabling it unconditionally is not a good idea. Perhaps it could be
controlled via firebird.conf but I would still prefer the connection
string as more flexible.

                                                          Michal Kubecek