Title: Re: [Firebird-devel] About support for embed into iOS/Android
Speaking about Android port:

I pushed Alex a lot to make a Android port of Firebird. Not because I would need to use it (I still don't), but because I was questioned about its availability by several people, in conferences and in FireBase discussion lists.

Finally, he was able to put a beta version out and, after some months, it was also listed in the Firebird official site, so everybody can be aware of such build.

BUT, it looks like nobody is using it. At last, we got no feedback from real users.

I think main reasons are:

1) Lack of documentation about how to "install it" on Android
2) Lack of documentation about how to use such build in their apps (examples needed?)
3) None of the Delphi data access component writes (IBO, FIBPlus, Zeos, etc) seems to have worried to adapt their components to work in Android (I guess it would not be a hard work)
4) Or maybe people prefers to use other databases, even InterBase (which has an interesting feature for mobile usage, called Change Views).

Personally, I'm very disappointed that those people who asked me about an Android port, seems to be ignoring it.

[]s
Carlos
http://www.firebirdnews.org
FireBase - http://www.FireBase.com.br

> But since nobody seemed to want it, I stopped work on it.
Its not a simple exercise

I understand. But *must* be a market for this, Embarcadero have it with interbase,
https://realm.io/ is kind of popular (as many other NoSql options).

The problem is that I found this only because:

1- I know Firebird exist
2- And know it have a embebed version
3- I was looking for options for sqlite (
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=sqlite+alternatives+ios). If you read, everyone point to a NoSql backend, or sqlite. The other posibilities are commercial (http://greenrobot.org/news/mobile-databases-sqlite-alternatives-and-nosql-for-android-and-ios/)

Firebird have a very poor marketing execution, IMHO, and this not help. Even more certain about potential features that are only know on mailing-list (is a know fact that customer mostly care for things that at least can be demoed :) ). But I think the high levels of apps that need both a data store for mobile and servers is matter to make clear that FB could fit the bill.

Do you have a $$ target? What about do a crow-sourcing in kick-starter, indiegogo or similar? And *do some marketing around*?

Maybe this could be as with mono before: Them have a free desktop/server version and provide a renew stream with the mobile offerings.

And if this provide a sync capabilities I'm certain this will pick the interest of a lot of enterprise users. In fact, my project is based around this (I will implement sync with a event-sourcing, log-replay on top of sqlite).