24.05.2018 10:50, Vlad Khorsun via Firebird-devel wrote:
   From reading documentation I have a feeling that currently external connection is reused only within transaction. When local transaction ends, connection is disconnected.

   Yes, almost

   Am I wrong?

   Yes. Above i speak about v4 with connections pool, not about how it works
"currently".

Ok. When you are getting a connection from a pool and when return it? I was sure that these point are exactly the same as current connect and disconnect of external connection. Was my guess wrong again?

4. Implement EXTERNAL DATA SOURCE database object and one of its property should
be flag to [not] reset external connection on re-use.

   This is the best solution (as for me) but it might not fit into v4 release
schedule.

   Release is not in sight yet and this object basically is one system table. I think it will fit easily.

   Not as easy. It also includes a set of DDL statements to manage this objects,
set of permissions, support in gbak, and, the most complex, good and as much as
possible complete desing.

Don't be so modest. Implementation of new privilegies and DDL for ALTER SESSION RESET took you just a couple of days. Dmitry for sure won't commit mandatory replication so soon. About design: as the first approach I think it would be enough to copy all external attachment's attributes into the table's fields to let ES syntax to be shortened to simple "ON EXTERNAL <link name>", omitting "AS USER", "PASSWORD" and "ROLE" attributes. Then add flags field for flags like "disable pool use", "do not reset state" and so on.
  It will be enough for now and easily expandable later.

--
  WBR, SD.