On 13/06/2019 11:23, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:
> 13.06.2019 16:02, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
>> So one (client) could request "give-me that timestamp-tz (utc timestamp
>> + region/offset) columns and additionally give-me its string
>> representation or offset or whatever".
>
>   System table or package suits that. If user application needs that
> information, it can query it.
>
>   encode/decodeTime(Stamp)Tz() functions are not needed in API.
> Existing encode/decode functions are enough.

Considering the reality that we don't have SQL parser in the client for
tools usage, and that generic tools (ISQL and like) will be the clients
for the feature, no, they can't issue a server call to decode each
column its going to display. It's sad to have to explain these things
every time.

Adriano