On 13-6-2019 17:52, Adriano dos Santos Fernandes wrote:
On 13/06/2019 12:43, Mark Rotteveel wrote:

I propose the following solution:

If ICU is present, use the current logic to derive the time in the
specified zone, but if ICU is absent, just display the UTC time
(+00:00). Don't throw errors for this.

I do not see a need to do an incorrect thing when the correct is so easy
for the user to do itself.

I suspect you and I have different ideas about what users will or will not find easy. I suspect that instclient will not do the right things at the moment either to produce a workable situation.

So I'd first adjust the internal error about not found ICU functions to
a better user's message.

When user detect that error in status, it puts +00:00 if he wants. Or it
just did it on its own before call the function.

If we still want to detriment the product if favor of bad users (those
that didn't read documentation, don't test, install things incorrect),
we add an additional parameter allowing or not the automatic conversion
to +00:00 when ICU is not found.

Given the state of our documentation and considering the problems that continue to come up with regard to Srp security database initialization, and Legacy_Auth etc, I don't think you can blame this on the users. And if anything, we should avoid the need to reference the documentation for something like this.

Having a working fallback is in my opinion far better than throwing an error and expecting the user to sort it out. Using the UTC time will be a good enough fallback for people using ISQL to query things.

When talking about a more complete application, they can take the time to use a better solution if they need it.

Mark Rotteveel