On 16/09/2019 07:51, Alex Peshkoff via Firebird-devel wrote:
> With ALTER SESSION DESCRIBE STATEMENT a number of problems with
> extended timestamp format will be gone automatically. But one of key
> problems remains - what can client do with timezone code when it does
> not know conversion rule for it.
>
> A nice solutipn was already suggested by Vlad - extend timestamp with
> timezone with 2 bytes and always send offset to client in them. This
> format does not require any tuning and is a real 'brute-force'
> solution for a problem with unknown to client timezone code. When
> sending data in reverse direction (from client to server) server is
> using timezone code when it's present (i.e. offset is ignored),
> otherwise - offset.

You will make the format completely wrong for client->server direction.
There should not be unused bytes.

I already said there are similar problems and you want to fix specific
problem with wrong solution.

Client does need as well to known length in characters of a string, but
server does not give it.

Will you add length in characters to every string from server->client
and add unused bytes from client->server? Wrong solution, of course.

There should be a way to client request additional data (tz offset, tz
region as string, string length) to be returned together with the data.
A general solution, not a wrong specific/incomplete solution.

Adriano