Hi

I maintain the PostgreSQL foreign data wrapper (FDW) for Firebird [1] and am
planning to verify it against Firebird 4 to check for compatibility,
new features
which need supporting etc.

[1] https://github.com/ibarwick/firebird_fdw/

To which end I thought I'd try building it from source (which I've never done
before for Firebird). Configuration done like this:

./configure --prefix=/opt/firebird4 \
  --with-editline \
  --with-service-port=3051 \

The actual "make" process went fine, following instructions found here:

    https://firebirdsql.org/en/building-the-code-posix/

but "make install" seems quite invasive as it requires root and complains
if there's a running Firebird instance (I have 3.0.x running from standard
packages), e.g.

    $ sudo make install
    Firebird 4.0.0.2178-ReleaseCandidate1.amd64 Installation

    Press Enter to start installation or ^C to abort

    An instance of the Firebird server seems to be running.
    Please quit all Firebird applications and then proceed.

It also seems to want to copy files to "/usr/include/" (which
would overwrite package-installed files and generally mess things up).

What I would like to do is create a local installation in an arbitrary
directory and run it independently from any existing installations
for development purposes. Is this possible, and if so how?

Thanks for any pointers

Ian Barwick