On 2020-08-27 17:28, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:

That unfortunately doesn't work:

   $ ./isql employee
   Statement failed, SQLSTATE = 08006
   Unable to complete network request to host "localhost".
   -Failed to establish a connection.
   Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
   SQL>

Looks like it can not load database engine library needed for embedded access - and therefore tries to use network access. The irony is that engine is actively used during build process, and if build completes OK - that means engine exists and runs successfully.

I tried this:

   $ FIREBIRD=/path/to/firebird/src/gen/Release/firebird/ ./bin/isql  employee

src is unneded here - gen is not in src

   Statement failed, SQLSTATE = HY000
   operating system directive access failed
   -Not a directory
   Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database

(which seems necessary for the .msg file and presumably configuration files)
and several variations, all with the same error message.

I also tried hard-coding the employee and security database paths in
the .conf files
in the $FIREBIRD directory, no change.

All files in the $FIREBIRD directory path are owned by the same (non-root) user.

Any further assistance much appreciated.

Sorry - looks like I've forgotten --enable-binreloc configure switch. On the other hand - isql displays messages correctly, i.e. firebird.msg is found.
If that switch does not help please try to add line
Providers = Engine13
to firebird.conf and see what message comes from isql.