Hello Stephan,

Now I solved the problem (although I don't know in detail what I am
doing...):

The things I've done now now are:
1.) "firewall.conf"
[...]
POSTSTART="/etc/ppp/mssclamping"
POSTRESTART="/etc/ppp/mssclamping"
[...]

2.) creating a script "/etc/ppp/mssclamping":
[------------------------]
#!/bin/sh
IPTABLES=`which iptables`
  echo -n ": MSS clamping: "
    $IPTABLES -t nat -I POSTROUTING 1 -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN \
    -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1400
    $IPTABLES -I FORWARD 1  -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN \
             -j TCPMSS --set-mss 1400

Now also SMTP transfer works. I set the MSS-value by hand because the
"--clamp-mss-to-pmtu" which was proposed in some articles did not
work.....

Strange thing; maybe I will download the rp-pppoe package and install
these scripts since then the MSS-Clamping should be done internally by
pppoe.

--
CU
 __