Dear FIS colleagues,

By this posting we would like to publicly announce to the
FIS
community, and to all information scientists in general, the

creation of the "Beijing FIS Group".

1. CONSTITUTION OF THE BEIJING FIS GROUP: During the last 10
years, one dozen professors from different Schools and
Departments of Peking University have been gathering
regularly to discuss the fundamental information problems
that emerged from different scientific fields related to
information, we have finally decided to appear publicly as a
"thought collective".

2. ACTIVITIES OF THE GROUP: Apart from continuing with our
internal debates, we are going to organize educational
sessions as well as public seminars, conferences, meetings,
conventional ones and in the web and email discussions
formats, etc. Most contemplation results will be published
for next year; particularly we are going to participate in
the FIS discussion list as such collective of thought.

3. OUR COMMON VISION ON INFORMATION SCIENCE: Within the
diversity of opinions of the group, a common position is
that the advancement of Information Science should be fueled
by theoretical and empirical work inside the major
disciplines, both in the natural sciences and the
humanities.
There is a little difference from our colleagues in Europe,
as they are adopting a top-down process while we do
like a down-top (bottom-up) process in methodology to unify
the different informational realms. We advocate the gradual
convergence among Natural Information Sciences, Technical
Information Sciences, and Social Information Sciences.

4. SCHOLARLY CONTRIBUTIONS: We think that at the time being
FIS is the most mature site to promote the regular and
focused scholarly exchanges needed to advance in the
convergence among information fields. We hope that our
initiative will be a very modest step in such convergence /
advancement. We will be happy to cooperate with other
similar groups and thought collectives inspired in the same
goals, either in China, other Asian countries and in the
whole international sphere.

We send our best greetings to all the Information Scientists
from Beijing.

Yan Xue-Shan Department of Information Management,
                Peking University
Ma Ai-Nai       School of Earth and Space Science,
                Peking University
Feng Guo-Rui    Department of Philosophy,
                Peking University.
Zhu Zhao-Xuan   Department of Mechanics and Aerospace
Engineering,
                Peking University
Luo Xian-Han    School of Earth and Space Science,
                Peking University
Xu Guang-Xian   College of Chemistry and Molecular
Engineering,
                Peking University
Lin Jian-Xiang  Graduate School of Education,
                Peking University
Yu Dao-Heng     School of Information Science and
Technology,
                Peking University
Jiang Lu        Department of System Science,
                Beijing Normal University
Miao Dong-Sheng Department of Philosophy,
                Renmin University of China
Zou Xiao-Hui    Visiting Scholar at Peking University,
                Higher Education Research Institute of CUG
(Beijing)