Dear Christophe,

I don't buy this overloading of the term "information" by the "uoward/downward"
argument.

I also lament the lack of rigor concerning the definition of the term
"information," but I lament more the lack of rigor concerning the definition of
the term "meaning." What is the definition of the term in the chapter you
reference?

The best that I could guess in terms of my own work is that it refers to some
action potential that is altered by information, although this does not exactly
fit your description. This, as opposed to my own use of the term "meaning" as
the term speaking about the behavior produced by the apprehension of a sign
(Peirce's pragmaticism). In my terms the action potential to which you seem to
refer is called "knowledge." By this definition "representations" do not have a
fixed associated meaning, they do not always produce the same behavior. In
apprehension by individuals they can be said to have an action potential that
is additive to the current potential in the organism. This would be consistent
with a claim that representations "mean" different things to different
individuals in different contexts.

We also appear to disagree concerning the term "semantics," that I take in the
spirit of logic (with Carnap) to refer only to the rules of language
transformation.

With respect,
Steven

--
        Dr. Steven Ericsson-Zenith
        Institute for Advanced Science & Engineering