Interesting point, Pedro. Robin Dunbar's work is
closer to a pure social bonding role. He argues,
and has some evidence for, oral communication
playing a similar role in our cultures as
grooming does in chimpanzees and other species.
He uses this to explain how we can have larger
group sizes. To my knowledge neither he nor
others have applied idea to the implications of
writing, though I have read some speculation
about internet communication on group sizes, but
none of it seemed very scientific to me.

I have some further things I can say about roles
of communication with respect to bonding, content
and meaning prescriptions, but I will keep them
for now as I am way behind in a number of things
I must do. Basically, though, verbal
communication plays multiple roles the same time.

John