Dear FIS colleagues,

Many thanks for the comments exchanged.
Welcome to Roly, the first party of the Xian's conference publishing in the
list (I mean concerning the invited speakers, as Bi-Lin who also posted
recently was a Xian participant too). I agree with Roli's interpretation and
Joseph's points, and also with the direction started by John. It is one of the
few times we are producing interesting ideas on social information
infrastructures. Perhaps at the time being the "received wisdom" on
communication & social information is not working terribly well.  For instance,
Jakobson six communication functions could be perfectly collapsed into three,
or expanded into nine... I have found a similar "relativity" in the not so many
approaches to cellular / biological communication.
One of the essential points to reconsider is, in my opinion, the lack of
connection between communication and life itself. Without entering
self-production of the living there can be no sense, no meaning. The notion of
information flow (rather than the "signal") has helped me to cohere the
cellular intertwining scheme. But, little problem, how can the gap to the human
dimension be crossed? Essentially human communication is not logical, but
bio-logical... amorphously structured around the advancement of one's life, and
that includes masterminding well organized motor apparatuses, as those involved
in language production and language interpretation ("cerebellar computation").
Logics is a byproduct of this motor/perceptual system underlying our concepts
and the interlinking of our exchnges, which becomes mastermined by the fitness
demands within social groups --responding to Bi-Lin's off line comments too.
Actually most of our social exchanges are supradetermined by status,
self-image, ambitions, affinity, collective identities, deception,
self-deception, attraction, etc. Rather than noise, it is life itself!
Haven't we a lot of work to be done in these essential matters?

best ---Pedro